To provide support services to other departments, organisations and secretariats of the Ministry in the areas of financial planning and management, human resource management, information technology and customer care.
- To provide support and advice to the Permanent Secretary, and, through him, to the Minister on all Ministry-wide issues and initiatives.
- To advise the Permanent Secretary, the Directors General and the Directors on matters of finance and administration.
- To co-ordinate the production of Business Plans and annual Financial Estimates for the Ministry, including those for the statutory organisation of which the Ministry is responsible.
- To co-ordinate at Ministry level reports on actual expenditure and revenue.
- To manage effectively the financial and other resources entrusted to those Departments in the Ministry which do not have an ‘in-house’ capability to do so.
- To provide Human Resources Services to Departmental managers and to give advice and guidance on the implementation and interpretation of People and Standards Division policy and practice.
- To facilitate the timely introduction of the relevant Public Service reform initiatives on a Ministry-wide basis and to monitor the progress of their implementation.
- To provide, in co-operation with the Institute for Public Services, for the training requirements of the staff of the various Departments of the Ministry.
- To co-ordinate and to oversee the development and maintenance of the required Information Systems in the Ministry.
Managed by: Robert Degabriele (Senior Manager)
The duties of the Finance Section include:
- Accounting for expenditure and Revenue of the Ministry for Finance
- The issuing of payment vouchers and schedules of payments in favour of other Government Ministries and Departments
- Co-ordinating the submission of the business and Financial Plans and Annual Financial Estimates for all the Directorates, Departments and Entities within MFIN
- Overview of the availability of funds under the Recurrent and Capital Vote of the Ministry for Finance
- Drafting of replies to PQs on finance matters
- Drafting of related Policies
- Travel and Fleet management
Managed by: Victor Mallia (Officer in Grade 5)
The duties of the Procurement Section include:
- Procurement of goods and services as per the current Government procurement regulations
- Stores management
- Issuing of local purchase orders,
- PQs on procurement matters
- Asset and Inventory Management
- Secretary to the Evaluation Committees
- Secretary to the Departmental Contracts Commitee
Managed by: Kurt Balzan O’Dea (Assistant Director)
The duties of the Human Resources People Management Section include:
- Family Friendly Measures (telework, reduced hours, etc.), in accordance with Manual on Work-life Balance Measures
- Drafting of related policie
- Special leave (cultural, sports, to take up alternative employment in the private sector, vocational, voluntary, etc.), in accordance with the Manual for Special Leave
- Donation of leave and utilisation of such leave for humanitarian reasons
- Detailing/deployment of employees on ‘grounds of public policy’ with public sector entities and related revocations
- Grievances Cases
- Dealing with Audits and Audit reports
- Extension of service beyond retirement age
- Appointment Letters
- Confirmation of appointments
- Private Work
- Employee Well-being
- Gender Mainstreaming and NCPE issues
- Quality and Standard procedures (Directive 4)
- Directive 3
- Skills Profiling
- Changes in appraisers/appraises in relation to Performance Appraisal
- Setting and updating of databases in respect People Management Affairs
- Recording of movement of staff
- Compilation of data for PQs, FOIs, etc.
- Any other matters relating to conditions of service and other People Management Issues
- Payroll generation
- Time off in lieu records
- Sick leave and vacation leave records
- Online Vacation Leave system
- Progressions and Promotions
- Updating of Personal Record Sheets
- Personal Files of Central MFIN and EPD employees
- Compiling of the HR Business plan and implementation
- Deployment of staff and restructuring
Scheduling of calls and implementation
- Drafting and vetting of calls for applications
- Drawing up of Position description
- Appointment of selection boards in relation to the call
- Publication of results following the selection process
- Recruitment and appointment of staff
- Movement of personnel
- Drawing up and renewals of Contracts for Services, Trust Engagements, Minister’s Secretariat
- Compiling and updating of Organisational Charts
Projects and Asset Management
Projects at MFE and Line departments
Strategy and Support Division
The Strategy and Support Division incorporates two Directorates, namely the Policy Development and Programme Implementation Directorate and the Corporate Services Directorate. The Division provides the appropriate operational support in the realisation of the Ministry’s goals and objectives. It co-ordinates the planning and execution of the strategic plans across the Ministry. The Division co-ordinates the compilation of Business Plans, Financial Estimates and the Human Resources Plans. The Division is also responsible for ensuring that Budget Measures, Simplification Measures and Electoral Manifesto measures assigned to the Ministry are duly implemented and reporting obligations are met in full. The Division also co-ordinates EU related matters within the remit of this Ministry, both at a domestic level and with other EU stakeholders.